20 Ways to Spread the Joy of Giving
During the holiday season, we think of giving gifts to make those we love feel good. But giving to others can actually make you feel good too. Research has shown that giving can help boost your physical and mental health. What's more, giving doesn't have to cost money or be limited to those you love; you can spread joy by giving back to others in your community.
Here are some ideas for how you can give back:
- Give blood. Every two seconds someone in the United States needs blood.
- Become a Big Brother or Big Sister to help an at-risk child.
- Visit an elderly person in a nursing home.
- Deliver groceries or meals to the elderly or provide transportation to appointments.
- Volunteer at an animal shelter.
- Adopt or foster a pet.
- Help cook or serve meals at a homeless shelter.
- Run a food drive for a local pantry.
- Send care packages or cards to the military.
- Volunteer at a school or library to read to children.
- Participate in a charity road race.
- Lend your business skills to a non-profit organization.
- Coach or referee a youth sport.
- Donate gently used clothing and household goods to a charity or homeless shelter.
- Donate holiday gifts to children in need.
- Get involved with a community clean up.
- Raise money to support your favorite charity.
- Volunteer with Special Olympics.
- Build a home with Habitat for Humanity.
- Volunteer at a hospital.
Spread the joy of giving. For even greater impact, recruit your family members and friends to join you in giving back. Together, you can make a world of difference.