November is the month of giving; we have a day to give thanks, and even special days for retailers to give discounts with Black Friday and Cyber Monday. And thanks to the 92nd Street Y, a cultural center in New York, we have an annual day for giving back — #GivingTuesday.
Now in its fifth year, #GivingTuesday is celebrated the Tuesday following Thanksgiving, and was conceived to harness the power of social media to bring businesses, non-profit and community organizations, and individuals and families together to give back.
Building momentum and a better world
In 2015, #GivingTuesday raised $177 million in donations to various causes and organizations. That's an increase of 145% from the previous year and proof that the movement toward building a better world is growing.
Get in on the giving
This year, #GivingTuesday will be celebrated on Tuesday, November 29th. Here are some ways you can join the celebration:
- Contact a local non-profit to find out how you can help.
- If you don't have extra funds to donate, consider volunteering your time or skills to help a worthy organization.
- Donate toys to a children's organization.
- Make a financial donation to a charity or cause that's important to you.
- Invite your family members, friends, and co-workers to give with you.
- Ask your company to participate in a company-wide giving initiative.
- Use social media to promote #GivingTuesday and share photos of you giving back.
To learn more about this special day and ways you can help, give a look at www.givingtuesday.org.