Get a Break on High Vacation Costs
Looking to leave behind the worries of work and responsibilities of home this summer? A fun and relaxing vacation getaway can provide the perfect opportunity to refresh and recharge your batteries. But with summer the most popular time for vacation, affording a quality vacation can be a challenge. Rest assured, there are some steps you can take to save on your vacation, including:
- Being flexible. If you're open to visiting different locations on short notice, you may be able to find affordable vacation opportunities. On websites, such as Expedia, Travelocity, and Orbitz, you can locate travel deals. You can even set travel alerts to notify you when deals arise.
- Staying close to home. You really don't have to go far to get away. Consider vacationing at a place that's close to home, so you can save on gas and airfare.
- Sharing vacations. Do you have other family members or friends who may want to vacation with you? If so, consider splitting the cost of renting a house for your vacation with other families.
- Traveling off season. If at all possible, avoid popular summer vacation spots, which have peak rates in the summer. Instead, visit locations where summer is the off season, such as tropical islands or southern states, such as Florida.
- Eating in. One of the biggest expenses involved with vacationing is dining out. Consider renting a house or staying at a hotel with appliances so you can prepare your own meals. If you're going to be away during the day, pack lunches and snacks.
- Using your rewards points. Do you have rewards or loyalty points with a specific hotel chain or airline? Or credit card rewards? Cash in those points for your vacation.
- Sleeping under the stars. If you can't afford a fancy hotel or summer rental, consider pitching a tent and camping. Camping is a great way to save money and to connect with nature.
With a little planning, creativity, and flexibility, you can get that much-needed savings break.